Colon Cancer

Colon cancer follow up

12/06/2006

Question:

My dad is 70 yrs old and was diagnosed with colon cancer stage 3 B in Jan of this year. He had a colon resection and just finished 6 mos of chemo. He has done really well. What is the typical follow up procedures? What are the statistics for him developing a reoccurrence? I know he is having a CT done soon. Is this something that will be done yearly? Also, what kind of screening should I and my siblings have done and what kind of risk does this place us to developing colon cancer? Thank you.

Answer:

The likelihood of cure is at least 70%.

Recommendations are: Office visits and CEA (blood test) every 3 months for the first 2 years, then every 6 months for the next 3 years and colonoscopy at 1 year after surgery and if negative for polyps, then every 3 years. A CT scan is not universally recommended but in certain patients, it’s done every year.

Your risk is about 1.7 times the general population. Both you and you siblings should have a colonoscopy at age 40.

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Gregory S Cooper, MD Gregory S Cooper, MD
Professor of Medicine