Vascular Surgery

Arm swelling

11/20/2006

Question:

two years ago i had an iv needle inserted in an emergency room to administer a drug so that i could have an mri. aftr the needle went in, i told the nurse that something was wrong - and after the mri it was even worse. i told the nurse it hurt as she took the needle out and she just pressed up and down on the site for awhile gave me a band-aid and sent me home. by the time i got home (60 miles away), my arm looked like a small baseball bat. i am a woman who does not have large arms! i went to sleep that night and in the am i had a dark red line going up my arm and the arm was even larger than before. i went in to the local clinic and they told me i had phlebitis and an infection. i was put on antibiotics that apparently did not work and ended up in the hospital a week later for iv antibiotics. after this was over, i had clots all the way up my arm - you could see the bumps. i saw a vascular surgeon who told me that my body would absorb them in time and suggested surgery as a last resort (painful, scaring, etc.) Now, i noticed that the clots are gone but the blood is routing through my wrist because the vein on top was damaged. This really hurts - and my arm swells up whenever i try to lift anything or use it for a period of time. It will hurt quite a bit if I lift anything. Also, if i am warm or hot (summer time) the arm and the hand hurts. is this ever going to go away? am i permanently damaged? is there anything i can do to correct this problem? i can`t even wear my wedding ring because it was sized twice already and can`t be sized again. i thought this would be over by now but i am still suffering from someone else`s mistake.

Answer:

I would suggest your primary care physician order a venous Duplex to see if you have evidence of old blood clot in a deep vein in the arm. You should not continue to see swelling in the hand from an IV insertion two years ago.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD