Breast Feeding

Does my lactose intolerance effect baby

11/21/2006

Question:

Hallo, I am a bit confused. I am lactose intollerant and usally stay away of diary, but sometimes its impossible. And I noticed that if I get symptoms afterwards that my breastfeed daughter gets some as well which I cant explain as I dont think she has lactose intolerance and otherwise no problem with her milk. Is it just beause of the gas like as if I would eat lots of gassy foods or is there a different explanation for that. Thank you.

Answer:

There is a different explanation. When you ingest dairy, the cow milk protein enters your blood stream and then travels to your breast and mixes in with your milk. The baby is likely cow milk protein intolerant and becomes uncomfortable whenever your milk contains the foreign protein. If this is not a true allergy, most babies have outgrown this problem by about one year.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology