Thyroid Diseases

Thyroid Test Results Questions

11/27/2006

Question:

I had a thyroid ultrasound with the following findings: right lobe is 6.7cmx1.5cmx 1.4 cm. the left is 3.5 x 1.5 x 1.2 cm. The thyroid is heterogeneous in echotexture throughout. Suggestive of a multinodular goiter. My routine throid profile was normal, but the antibodies were high.

What is a "normal" size for a lobe? What does heterogeneous in echotexture mean? What do high antibodies indicate or what causes this? Thank you.

Answer:

In a normal thyroid each lobe is about 4 cm long and 2-2.5 cm deep. Your thyroid is only slightly enlarged according to this test. The heterogeneous texture and positive antibodies suggest that you have a common disease called Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It won't hurt you, but your doctor will want to recheck your thyroid blood tests periodically because you are at risk for eventually developing an underactive thyroid.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE