Breast Feeding

Crying baby

11/28/2006

Question:

My grandbaby crys all the timem he eats approx. every hr or so. I was wondering if it could be what my daughter was eating or if there could be something wrong with the baby. He crys real tears and even if hes being held. He acts like hes in pain. we have used the gas drops so im really not sure. We need help. thanks

Answer:

The most common cause of pain in a breastfeeding baby is dairy intake in the mother. Many books tell new moms to drink lots of milk and to eat lots of cheese, while pregnant or nursing. The cow milk protein goes quickly to the mother's milk and then into the baby's stomach, where it is difficult to digest until the baby is at least 6 months old. If she is a big milk drinker it may take 3 to 5 weeks of NO dairy product intake to get it all out of the mom's breast tissues. The baby should start feeling better in 2 to 3 weeks.

Another cause of pain is reflux of stomach contents into the food pipe, where it burns because of the stomach acid.

Dairy makes that worse, but the baby may also need to take an acid reducing medication. If he arches his back and cries when he is laid flat or on his back, that may be a strong possibility.

Try getting her off daily products first. Then if after 2 weeks the crying has not deceased, you may want to take him to the Pediatrician for anti-reflux (acid-reducing) medication.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology