Raised red skin patches

01/09/2007

Question:

Every now and then, I discover a small raised red area of skin that will pop up in a matter of seconds on my face. It can last an hour or up to 4 days, then days later another raised spot will spring up again elsewhere. It doesn`t seem to ever end. They can be about 4mm in size, to 1cm. It feels like a "flare up". I can literally feel them when they start to raise, or if I run my finger over the area of skin. It remains red until it`s gone.

There is NO itch at all, so it cannot be hives.

What is this? Is it hypersensitivity, or allergens? Nervous reactions? It flares up particularly if I`m stressed, however it`s usually only ONE at a time on my face & can appear anytime and disappear anytime.

Thanks.

Answer:

There are many possibilities. Hives is still in the list, although unusual to last beyond several hours. In your case, you say it can last up to 4 days which makes hives unlikely. It does sound like a reactive process from the description - could be hypersensitivity reaction of some sort.

A physician evaluation will be helpful. Your physician would want to know the things you're using for your face and what you've changed recently. Relationship to sun exposure will also be helpful, as well as any medications whether prescription or non-prescription, including vitamin/natural supplements.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center