Basic root canal?

11/27/2006

Question:

Dear Doctor,i was sent to a root canal specialist, to have a bicuspid tooth 11 pulp test done,,the specialist reccomended me to a dentist for the root procedure,for 2 reasons:tooth 11 is a simple basic tooth and it would be less expensive with the dentist,,since i don`t have insurance . I had the tooth done with the dentist ,the next day after the procedure,i had swelling and was put on augmentin,and now I`am into my final 5th.day of medication and everything is fine,,,did the dentist err on the procedure of this tooth and do you think there is more of the nerve,blood vessels etc., left in the root ? What i`am basically asking,for future roots,, should i of just had the specialist do it and by him doing it ,would i of had no infection? Also,I`am getting a post put into it in January and i`am concerned about remains left in the root because once a poast is put in ,you cannot go back in .Thank you very much.

Answer:

Unfortunately, I really can't say whether or not the provider had any influence on your results since I do not know the condition of the tooth to begin with. The swelling may have occurred even if the endodontist had treated the tooth. Teeth that have dead or infected root canals have a 5-10% chance of having this type of reaction. That is because your immune system had been primed to fight the infection and when the root canal was done, it kicked the immune response into high gear. There is really nothing that can be done to prevent this, even by an endodontist.

As to the quality of the root canal done by the general dentist, again I cannot give you an answer. If you are concerned, you may want to have the endodontist evaluate it before you have the post placed in the tooth. If there is an issue, it certainly is easier to correct the problem before the post is placed versus after (although that can often be done, too).

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics