Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Bleeding after intercourse



I have not had a period for a year and have recently started having sexual relations. There is now watery, blood flowing. I am assuming this comes from thinner vaginal linings, but wonder wha I can do about this.


Any postmenopausal bleeding should be evaluated by your physician.  I am assuming you are having sexual intercourse.  If the watery bloody discharge is happening only after intercourse, be sure it is from you and not your partner.  To determine this, have your partner wear a condom and see if the bloody discharge is in the condom or in you.  Whoever is having the bleeding should see a physician.

For more information:

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati