Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Progression of Unilateral Leukoencephalopathy

12/04/2006

Question:

Hello, My 11 year old son has been diagnosed with Unilateral Leukoencephalopathy with abnormal white matter signal and lacunes, with unknown etiology. In previous MRI and SPECT images, only the right hemisphere had been effected. Now, we do suspect some possible progression into the left hemisphere as well. His Neuorlogist has directed to go online to find support and help for my son with this illness, and so here I am, seeking any information that you may be able to provide. I have put together a small web site, listing his symptoms, along with some of his test results, and afew of his most current MRI images, which have not been read or dx.`ed at this time. I am seeking information regarding if there is any lesion or abnormalities within his left hemisphere, as is suspected. Could you please take a look at this web site?

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Children's Health:

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide you with any additional information.  Your question does not fall within the scope of my topic area and expertise or that of any other current NetWellness expert.

However, I would suggest that you may want to discuss your son's problems with another neurologist and get a second opinion.  The American Academy of Neurology's website below has an area to locate neurologists in your area. 

Best of luck.

American Academy of Neurology

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics