Obesity and Weight Management

Overweight reduction

12/13/2006

Question:

Dear Dr.,

My height is 165cms and my weight is 64.5Kg and my age is 30yrs. I am a man. Till last year, I was very lean and at present I really feel that I have developed my belly has grown and it is slightly grown outside. Is this the fat deposit. How can I reduce to get back my previous slim posture? I am trying to reduce the intake of the food. Some people are suggesting daily morning walking will reduce the belly fat. Is it true? Whether I continue to walk daily in the morning, whether I shoudl continue for my life long? Please suggest natural ways to reduce my belly and get a slim posture.

Answer:

With your weight and height, the first step to deal with your concern is to calculate your body mass index (BMI). The BMI gives us a measure of the relationship of your weight to your height and has been shown to accurately identify levels of risks for cardiovascular disease, and other diseases. BMI is calculated with this formula weight (kg) divided by height (m) 2.

Your BMI is 23.7 which is within the normal range for an adult - that is good news. The extra belly fat you notice is the pattern of fat deposition seen in males as they get older. A small concern is that increased belly fat or visceral fat has also been linked to cardiovascular disease, but with your normal BMI, I would suggest your risk is quite low.

I suggest you continue eating healthy balanced meals, please do not diet or starve yourself. You need to get in at least 30 minutes of any physical activity daily, walking is fine. For your belly, I would suggest incorporating some exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles. Walk with a knowledgeable gym or fitness instructor to help you with these exercises. Remember to get a regular check up with your doctor too.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Ihuoma U Eneli, MD Ihuoma U Eneli, MD
Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
Medical Director of the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition