Cancer Genetics

Liposarcoma Appearance

12/21/2006

Question:

My brother was diagnosed at age 14 with Liposarcoma back in the 60`s. He died in 1970 at age 23. Our family is part of a genetic research study at MD Anderson Hospital in San Antonio, Texas. How unusual is Liposarcoma in a 14 yr old? My brother was a tall and very thin person. Thank you for your time.

Answer:

Lipsarcomas appear to be very rare among children, however there are some case reviews in the literature describing liposarcomas: a case review of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1949-1990 found 18 cases of liposarcoma in children under the age of 22.  British Columbia's Children's Hospital reported 2 cases over a 12 year period, and the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology reported on 17 cases of children with liposarcoma.  For the best information, you should contact the genetic counselor associated with the study in which you are participating.

Go to the Cancer Genetics health topic, where you can:

Duane D Culler, PhD, MS Duane D Culler, PhD, MS
Clinical Instructor of Genetics