Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Left kidney hydronephrosis

01/11/2007

Question:

My daughter (6weeks old) was born w/ left kidney hydronephrosis, the VCUG test is negative and the renal scan showed 13% function of the left kidney and the right kidney is 87%. In addition the left kidney looks malformed. The Urologist suggested a procedure which involve inserting a catheter . into the left kidney & drain the fluid in a bag.She needs to keep the catheter for a month before repeating the renal scan.She`s currently on amoxicillin 50mg/1ml daily since birth. My question is the procedure worth doing at this time of her delicate stage, and I`m very worried about infections. Also, She didn`t have immunization.

Answer:

A poorly functioning kidney can be due to two main causes. Firstly, it can be poorly functioning because it never developed properly in the first place.

The other possibility is that the kidney has an obstruction. If that is the case, there is the chance the kidney may start to work better.

It is important to know if there is good kidney tissue because after 6 months of life, there is little chance for improvement. Placing a tube is a common way to test whether the kidney can be saved or not. Infections are relatively uncommon.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology