Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Excitability in child after dental work

12/07/2006

Question:

My 6 year old daughter had a front tooth pulled because it wasn`t getting loose enough to fall out on it`s own to let the permanent tooth come thru correctly. The dentist only rubbed something topical on her gums and didn`t give her a shot. She went to piano lessons about 30 minutes later and "acted up" quite a bit during the entire lesson, almost as if she was intoxicated. Then after going home, she was very unruly.

Could this be some kind of reaction to the topical anesthesia? (Probably unharmful but changing her normal behavior.)

Answer:

It is highly unlikely that the topical anesthetic used to extract this primary tooth affected her behavior. It was not injected so there would be very little, if any, systemic distribution of the anesthetic agent. Even more importantly, I am unaware of any reports of topical anesthetic agents affecting behavior as you describe.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry