Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Sarcoid specialist



I was diagnosed with pulmonary sarcoidosis (nodules both lungs with lymph nodes involvement) and have been under treatment since 2002. I have had back surgeries (lumbar & cervical, knee replacements, ankle surgery, wrist surgery. Still have pain all over, pins and needles, numb face, eye disturbances, arythmias (SVT & A-Fib which just recently cardiologist thought might be related to sarcoid - had viral pericarditis resulting in pericardectomy in 85) chronic fatigue, severe anemia. List goes on and on. Only the lungs where diagnose as sarcoid but am wondering if alot of my other medical issues are related. Wondering if you know any primary care or specialist in the state of Michigan. I am willing to travel if necessary if I can find a specialist that takes my insurance also. I would apprieciate any help you could give me.


In answer to your medical question, it is indeed possible that many of your symptoms relate to sarcoidosis that is active outside the lungs. Involvement of the heart by sarcoidosis is a potentially serious complication.  As such, I would encourage you to seek consultation at the University of Michigan's Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (www.med.umich.edu/intmed/pulmonary/) or at The Henry Ford Health System (Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine) (www.henryfordhealth.org/body.cfm?id=37067).  There are sarcoidosis specialists in either of these institutions who can evaluate you.

For more information:

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University