Osteoporosis

What are Some Alternatives to Fosamax?

01/08/2007

Question:

I had osteopenia and in my last bone density test I now have osteoporosis. I`m 59 and went through menopause at 40 and was on ERT for 13 years and then I took Ipriflavones from 54 until a few months ago. I didn`t want the side effects of Fosamax. Now I am on Fosamax after just a few weeks I have severe diarrhea, girgling stomach and horrible gas. I have digestive issues as it is, I don`t need this to be happening, especially since diarrhea has caught me off guard several times. I have had early menopause and have a family history of osteoporosis. What is the natural alternative to Fosamax?

Answer:

There are several options:

Stop the Fosamax, get the symptoms under control and try it once again.  If the same thing happens, switch to a different medication.

Stop the Fosamax, get the symptoms under control and try Actonel.

Stop the Fosamax, get the symptoms under control and try one of the intravenous osteoporosis medications - Boniva IV or Zometa IV.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology