Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Figuring Out Mental Disorders

12/15/2006

Question:

My grandson, who is 4 years old has a problem controlling his anger. He gets so angry that you can`t handle him. He screams and hits his face turns red and the veins pop up in his neck so bad that I think that they are going to burst. He becomes uncontrollable at this point. In public people have actually came running thinking that someone is hurt, but it is my grandson and he is so angry that you can not communicate with him.

After the episode is over he is very sorry and seems confused when you ask him about it. This happens when he is told no most of the time. I am beside myself not knowing how to help him or my daughter. Please any advice is greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Your grandson's behavior could be due to several possible factors, including a psychiatric disorder(s). However, the only way to find out if someone has a psychiatric disorder is to get a comprehensive and detailed psychological assessment from a trained mental health professional. I would suggest calling your local university, community mental health center, or National Association of Mentally Ill chapter to ask for names, locations, and phone numbers of mental health professionals who have expertise assessing and treating children.

I hope this answer is helpful.

Best wishes,

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry