Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Dental and Oral Health Center
White area on the tip of my tongue
I woke up this morning and felt that my tongue was a little sore, so I looked in the mirror and saw that on the tip of my tongue was a slightly raised white area with a tiny red spot in the middle. I`ve gotten enlarged taste buds in the past, but this looks different. Any thoughts?
Sometimes this could be due to irritation or trauma to the area. Other things to consider:
- Has this same type of lesion ever happened before?
- Are you currently taking any medications?
- Do you suffer from constant heartburn or reflux?
- Do you smoke?
- Have your blood sugar levels been normal on the past exams?
- Do you clench or grind your teeth?
This lesion should resolve on its own within 10-14 days after its appearance, if no further irritation has happened. If it does not, you could have your dentist take a look at it to see if it might need medication to improve its healing.
Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine
Case Western Reserve University