Parkinson's Disease

Restless Leg Syndrome

12/14/2006

Question:

I believe I have RLS except my legs do not bother me, my toes do. I can`t stop moving them and I am carb/levi

Answer:

Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is a sensory-motor condition that by definition consists of an uncomfortable sensation (but not pain or cramps) in the legs that causes an overwhelming urge to move the legs.  It occurs initially and more predominantly in the evening at rest, and the symptoms can be at least partially relieved by movement.  Therefore, the movement is actually voluntary and somewhat suppressible, at the risk of increasing discomfort. 

The sensations involve the legs (thighs, calves, shins) but NOT the feet.  Uncomfortable sensation in the feet/toes may be a manifestation of several conditions, including peripheral neuropathy and Painful Feet/Moving Toes syndrome.  In a person with PD on levodopa, this also may be a type of dyskinesia (excessive involuntary movement) due to abnormal dopamine receptor activity in the brain.  It most often occurs when levodopa (Sinemet) levels are peaked, but may occur at other times also. 

I suggest you see your neurologist so that this movement may be observed and thoroughly assessed.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Karen M Thomas, DO Karen M Thomas, DO