Stroke

Cavum septum pellucidum

12/14/2006

Question:

Today the doctor told us that my son`s CT scan was fine. He ordered the scan because my son had Bells Palsy. He also said that the scan showed cavum septum pellucidum. My son`s is a little wider than usual but he said that doesn`t mean anything. It was nothing to be concerned with. My son is a college student who makes excellent grades - honor student. I don`t know what cavum septum pellucidum means. Is this anything to worry about????? How common is it. Our doctor had to look up what this is. Thank you for your time.

Answer:

The septum pellucidum is a structure in the brain which separates the two lateral ventricles, which are fluid filled compartments within the structure of the brain.  It forms in utero, and is usually one wall-like structure between the ventricles.  It forms by two leaflets fusing together.  One anatomic variation in development is incomplete fusion of the two structures, leading to an extra fluid filled cavity between the two ventricles.  This is typically considered a normal variation of anatomy, and not associated with any disease processes.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program