Athletic Training

Glass in my foot

12/18/2006

Question:

A few months ago I stepped on glass. It hurt to walk so when the wound was still open, I took a tweezers and found a tiny tiny piece of glass in my foot. As months past, I still felt the pain in my foot. It a sharp pain in the ball of my foot. I guess I still have glass in my foot and I am not sure how to get it out since the wound is closed. Should I take a razor blade and reopen the area where the pain is? Please help. I can`t walk.

Answer:

It is not uncommon for foreign objects to remain embedded in your tissue even after you think you have removed it all.  Your body responds with an inflammatory response because it is an object that isn't supposed to be located there, which would explain your pain with walking. It is typically not recommended for the patient to open up the area to search for the foreign object because the chance for infection is increased. 

Your body usually will expel these objects on its own, but since your foot is so painful, I would suggest a call to your local physician for him or her to evaluate and plan the best course of action and to ensure you don't have a secondary infection present. 

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences