Pulmonary Fibrosis

Spirometry test

01/04/2007

Question:

I have been dx with pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis stage IV by a broncoscopy and open lung biopsy. I have had a few spirometer test that weren`t that good the last one I had came back alot better but I am on inhalers Azmacort 4 times a day and albuterol up to 8 times a day and on my last test I hit the albuterol 5 minutes before the test.  could it have an effect on the results?

Answer:

Advanced sarcoidosis can have different effects on spirometry. It can cause obstruction (reduced airflow rates) or restriction (reduced lung volumes). The inhaler medications can improve the obstruction, but generally do not have an effect on the restriction. Obstruction is generally measured by the FEV1 (forced expiratory volume in 1 second), whereas restriction is measured by the TLC (total lung capacity) and sometimes by the FVC (forced vital capacity).

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine