Gum Diseases

White spot appeared in a day.

01/05/2007

Question:

I am almost 17, and have only had one cavity in my life, and yesterday I found a white little spot on my upper gum, surrounded by a section of sore gums. It is not directly above my tooth. I just had my teeth cleaned last week, and the girl told me I had too much tartar for my age. She said I would be at a high risk for gingivitis.

The red spot on my gum today is a little bigger, and has a little pinprick sized dot in the center of it. I brush my teeth everyday. So today, I brushed that spot hard, and it kind of bled, and I thought it was gone, but it it still there. It only hurts when I brush it hard or try to pop it. I am really scared because I don`t want mouth cancer... Please help.

Answer:

It may be a leftover calculus piece or remnants of a deciduous tooth pocking through your gums. Please see your dentist if it is still there.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology