Sarcoidosis

Caseating granulomas?

01/04/2007

Question:

I have been diagnosed with Pulm Sarc with involvement in the eyes and lymph nodes. I had a open lung biopsy in January (after 3 other biopsies). The purpose of this biopsy was because the Sarcoid in my lungs have "Caseating Granulomas". I realize this is not common, but I would like to know if it causes any other symptoms/problems that non-caseating granulomas do not cause?

Thank you.

Answer:

The term "caseating" granuloma refers to the presence of broken down lipids (fats) and proteins in the center of the granulomas conferring a "cheesy" texture. This process reflects the killing of cells or invading organisms (infections). Your doctors are likely concerned that you might have an infection rather than sarcoidosis. It was wise of them to test you for infection because the treatment for infection is very different than the treatments for sarcoidosis.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine