Stroke

Lacunar infarct

01/16/2007

Question:

I had a ct scan and was told they found a lacunar infarct. I had the test in New york and now i am in Texas for the winter. They said no need to come home. My question is once you have had that does it mean i will have another?

Answer:

The first question of importance is whether you had the clinical symptoms of a stroke or not, and if that is why you had the CT scan done. 

I have written previously several times about lesions on imaging that are not associated with symptoms.  Many of these contain the words "white matter disease" in the subject lines.  I refer you to these answers for detailed reading.

The short answer is that you are at increased risk for a stroke as compared to another person of your same age, gender, and race/ethnic group.  All that you can do is to lower your risk factors for stroke by watching your blood pressure carefully, ensuring that you are checked for diabetes (or if you already have it, ensuring that your glucose control is maximal), watching your cholesterol, eating a heart healthy diet, exercising, and not smoking.

I would suggest that you discuss these matters further with your local physicians (in Texas or in New York, or both) as only they know your entire medical history.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program