Discomfort after root canal treatment

01/11/2007

Question:

Had root canal & permanent crown treatment on upper rear left molar. Its been 8 weeks since initial visit to have tooth worked on. Now I have some discomfort at the tooth. My general dentis,t after I complained about this, had me come and he said may be to hyper-occulusion (sp?). He checked bite and made an adjustment. Seemed to help initially. But I`m still having some discomfort at the site. When I "hammer" teeth together I can feel this pain if you will. At times I can simply touch the tooth and feel this discomfort. Went back to my dentist and he checked bite again, said it looked okay. He ran some floss between teeth at the site and said there was some blood on floss indicating gum inflammation. Said just to try to keep area clean as possible. Is this a common issue with recently canaled/crowned teeth.

Answer:

After a root canal it takes time for all symptoms to resolve, and that is why frequently endodontists do not do the return check-up on a root canal treated tooth for about 6 months. A very common course is to give things time to heal unless new symptoms develop. It is also not uncommon to have some soreness after a new crown.  If there is inflammation in the gums, it usually takes a couple weeks of good oral hygiene (brushing and flossing) to resolve. 

If your symptoms do not resolve after following the recommendations for a period of time (or if new symptoms develop at any time), I would consult your dentist or endodontist for an evaluation.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics