My wife

02/06/2007

Question:

My wife gets one or several large bumps on her butt especially if she is under stress, they one or more about the size of a quarter or but not quite as big as a half dollar, they are bright red, and painful for her to touch, this condition comes and goes and has been happening for over 10 years, so far medical experts don`t have a clue, topical ointments so far have not helped, these are not boils, nor hiv any ideas.

Answer:

First impression with a history of recurrent tender bumps on the buttocks would be folliculitis, which is a common inflammation, usually due to Staphylococcus aureaus. If regular cleansing of the area with antibacterial soap has not worked, sometimes medications similar to those used for acne can be tried. However, it is best to get a recommendation from a dermatologist who is actually looking at the lesions.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center