Sarcoidosis

Sinus sarcoid?

01/11/2007

Question:

What are the usual symptoms of sarcoid affecting the sinuses? I`m forever plugged up (little clear to no drainage) and it feels swollen. I know I need to see an ENT doctor for this and will but was curious as to how much of this is seen with systemic sarcoid pts. When I see speciality doctors the first thing they usually say is "I`m not experienced with sarcoidosis". When I see the sarcoid info on the internet I am stunned b/c sarcoidosis is much more prevalent than I ever thought it was.Thank you for this service you provide and most of all for your very forthright and caring replies to people who are desperately seeking answers.

Answer:

Sinus involvement by sarcoidosis is not uncommon, but requires some testing to confirm. A CT scan of the sinuses is a good starting point and may show what appears to be a large polyp or even a mass that can obstruct the drainage of the sinuses. Because sarcoidosis can mimic other processes, a biopsy of the abnormal looking sinus tissue may be necessary to confirm the diagnosis. I generally rely on an ENT specialist to help me manage patients with sarcoidosis of the sinuses. Many of them are familiar with this disease.

I agree that sarcoidosis is an under-appreciated disease. I hope this changes over time. The internet is helping to spread the word!

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine