Menopause

Hair stopped growing on legs after menapause

02/05/2007

Question:

Is hair loss the same thing as no hair growth at all? In 2005, all the hair stopped growing on both of my legs. Could menapause be causing this? My doctor has not given me a straight answer in two years. (She says different things at every visit: hormonal changes, stress, etc.) Also, my eyes and throat are dry all the time. My doctor wrote a diagnosis of "sicca syndrome," and said to use a saline solution in my eyes. (But, she never did any testing for it, so I wondered if she should do some additional testing?) She said my tests for CBC and Met Panel were normal.

Could my dry eyes be related to the hair loss on my legs? And what could I use to alleviate the constant dryness in my throat, because it makes me cough all the time?

Answer:

It is not uncommon for leg hair and pubic hair to become more sparse after menopause.  I would recommend you discuss the dry throat and cough with your physician.  Review any medications you are taking that could have cough as a side effect.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology