Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Multicystic Kidney

08/21/2007

Question:

My eight months old daughter`s right kidney is multicystic and left one is normal. It has been detected prenatally through ultrasound. After birth we have done ultrasound several times.

Now at eight months age we have done ultrasound and report says right kidney is multicystic like before and left one has 2-3 cyst at lower lobe. The eight months ultrasound has been performed at a new place.

My first question is this 2-3 cysts in the left kidney will affect my child`s health? Second question; was these cysts in the left kidney present even before but radiologist might not have detected or not considered important to mention it?

Answer:

Your question is difficult to answer. It depends on the size and appearance of the cysts in the left kidney. She should probably be evaluated by a pediatric urologist or pediatric nephrologist with an interest in cystic disorders of the kidney.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology