Anxiety and Stress Disorders

Handling Wedding Stress

01/17/2007

Question:

I recently have gotten married and prior to the wedding, I was obviously planning the wedding, taking nine hours of college courses, working full-time and taking a once a week "class" at church. During that time I felt always "on edge" and felt like my body was tense and tightened. I thought that after the wedding (and class at church) I`d feel less "stressed" b/c I`d only be dealing w/school and work. Things did seem to get better but now I`m in a new semester and I feel like I cannot get enough sleep, my back constantly hurts, my neck, etc... and my body feels about 10 times more tense than it was prior to the wedding. I`ve looked up info. online (mayo clinic, our health insurance provider links, etc...) and seem to get the same responses, it could be depression, it could be anxiety, etc... What doctor do I see? Can I visit my gen. practitioner and she`ll direct me or is there a better wayt to get this taken care of? The other question is, what are options for dealing w/this constant problem?

Answer:

It sounds like you have been doing some good research to understand what might be going on with you.  It is likely time to sit down and talk with a health professional.  Your family physician or primary care doctor is a good place to start.  These physicians are (in the US, anyway) trained to diagnose and treat depression and anxiety.  They can also check you out to make sure there is nothing else going on that might be causing these problems.   Mental health professionals, such as social workers, psychologists and counselors are also good people to talk to.  They may help you understand better the stressors in your life, and how you deal with them.  They can teach you behavioral and cognitive (thinking) methods for improving depression, anxiety and stress.  

I would start with your primary care doctor, to make sure sure everything else is OK with you.  And check out the weblinks to some additional sites about anxiety and depression, if you haven't already.

Good Luck.

Depression screening test
NIH NIMH anxiety

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders health topic, where you can:

Nancy   Elder, MD Nancy Elder, MD