Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children)

Seeking Help for Anxiety

02/05/2007

Question:

My six year old son appears to have anxiety issues. He has restless sleep, loud, constantly moving, fear of certain things, and becoming very bold to his teachers as of recent. He is seeing a social worker now for ten months. I see no improvement. I am wondering two things,should I try to find a psyciatrist/psychologist and should I have him have cognitive clincial testing done on him.

Answer:

From your description of your child's problems I glean that he has several issues, only one of which may be anxiety.  I do not know whether his seeing a social worker constitutes therapy or not from your description.  I would think that cognitive evaluation would probably not be related to any of the issues that you mention but a more detailed evaluation of your son's problems may indeed be helpful and I should think that a place to start would be with a psychiatrist or psychologist comfortable with seeing a young child.

Go to the Anxiety and Stress Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Floyd R Sallee, MD