Osteoporosis

Stopping Fosamax for a Dental Procedure

02/05/2007

Question:

I was told by my dentist and oral surgeon that Fosamax has a 10 year year life. That means I can`t have a tooth removed unless I am off Fosamax for 10 years. Is that accepted practice by all oral surgeons?

Answer:

You should certainly have dental work whenever it is needed.  Some physicians recommend stopping your Fosamax as soon as you know you need to have a dental procedure that involves the bone (not just a tooth procedure) and then do not restart Fosamax until you have completely healed.  The vast majority of people who had oral bone healing  problems were cancer patients on high dose intravenous bisphosphonates (bone medications like Fosamax) who had a dental procedure involving the bone.  Problems of this type occurred VERY RARELY in patients who were generally healthy taking normal does of the medication by mouth for osteoporosis.  Most bone experts do not even recommend stopping the medication for usual dental procedures.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology