Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Trauma to teeth

01/25/2007

Question:

My son is wrestling and he hit his mouth on another kids head and now his teeth are tingling and are sensitive to hot and cold. I want to know if there is permanent damage to the tooth or will the tingling go away. Thanks

Answer:

It's critical anytime there is dental trauma that a dentist evaluate the teeth. While there may be no obvious signs of damage, a dentist can perform certain tests and take X-rays to monitor the tooth's health. While transient sensitivity can be normal with trauma, it can also be a sign of irreversible nerve damage. Careful monitoring by a dentist will be aimed at preserving healthy tooth structure and intervening if it looks like the tooth is damaged.

It's a good idea anytime there is trauma to the head and neck region to have a physician/dentist examine the child to make sure the scope of injuries are limited. Thanks for the question...

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry