Obesity and Weight Management

My tummy

01/25/2007

Question:

How do I trim my tummy, as in make it flat without hurting myself. I have ulcer already and I also have athritis. What do I do?

Answer:

You haven't given me enough information to know if your tummy is a result of overweight.  Because of your comment about having arthritis, I am going to assume that you are older but of normal weight.  Exercises that strengthen your abdominal muscles would help hold your tummy in (and therefore 'get rid of it').

Do you have osteoporosis? If you do, and it has manifested itself by changing the curvature of your spine so that the lower spine is curved inward toward your tummy, you may not be able to get rid of your 'tummy', because there is nothing to get rid of. The spine has just pushed it forward.

If you are heavier than you should be, you'll need to use a combination of weight loss and stomach strengthening exercises to reduce your tummy. Go to ChooseMyPlate.gov  and on the opening screen put in your age, gender and activity level . The site will give you a calorie level for maintaining your weight currently. If you need to lose weight reduce your calories 500 per day from the maintenance level and increase your physical activity by 30 minutes each day. The site will give you some ideas if you poke around.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Sharron   Coplin, MS, RD, LD Sharron Coplin, MS, RD, LD
Former Lecturer
Food & Nutrition
College of Education and Human Ecology