Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Hypospadias?

08/31/2007

Question:

My son was born with what I was told is hypospadias. The opening was at the top of his penis when he was born, but the penis was bent, like if you bend your finger, with the head pointing down and the skin underneath grown together. He had surgery to correct this when he was about 1-2 years old. I actually have two questions. Is this hypospadias and can this cause some incontinence issues? He wet the bed until he was 11 and now today when he told one of his teachers he had to go to the restroom the teacher refused to let him go and my child (a 7th grader) wet his pants!

Answer:

The hypospadias/penile curvature is unrelated to his current symptoms of incontinence, unless he has a urethral stricture or urinary tract infection, both of which are slightly more common after hypospadias surgery. If he continues to have trouble staying dry at school, he needs a urine culture and may need a uroloigcal evaluation.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology