Athletic Training

Ankle sprain recovery

01/30/2007

Question:

Hi. I have a very serious ankle sprain, 2 torn ligaments, fractured bone, etc. It`s been 5 months & I still can`t run w/o pain on the back right side. I have always been a competitive athlete (division I women`s soccer) and still play semi-pro now. Anyway, had a 2nd mri scan yesterday & my dr. told me there is a 20% chance I will never run again. I have never heard of this before. Is this really possible? I tore a ligament in my right foot, back right, behind my ankle bone, that is apparently v difficult to heal...

Answer:

Though it is uncommon that a ligament would not heal even if it was torn, it is possible.  You should follow the recommendations of your doctor to rehabilitate and strengthen your ankle and the surrounding muscles in order to support the previously injured ligaments. 

Once you have strengthened your ankle and gradually begin running with the guidance of your doctor, you will have a better indication of your running future.  Your doctor is most familiar with the entire case and likely gave you a "worse case" scenario with the "20% chance." 

Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Mary  Laingen, MS, ATC Mary Laingen, MS, ATC
Assistant Athletic Trainer
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences