Obesity and Weight Management

Why can`t I lose weight?

02/01/2007

Question:

i have been sick with lung problems and RA for the last five years,i havebeen under alot of stress because i cant work i wonder if the medicinesim on could prevent me from loosing weight. i take 5 grams of predisone and ra medicine and highblood pressure meds. im miserable, have no energy and want to loose weight. im desperate. i am 55 and 150lbs over weight.

Answer:

You have multiple health problems and need different medications. So it is unlikely there is a simple answer to why you can not lose weight. For instance, your lung problems and RA may limit your activity, making your lifestyle sedentary. The steroids, although a small dose, can affect your appetite. You sound tired and a little depressed, which will make you much less motivated or capable to make lifestyle changes. These are all factors, amongst others that can affect your weight.

My suggestions are 1)see your physician to make sure your physical and psychological problems are well-managed and to explore your options for weight loss, 2) use any social support you have from friends and family, and 3) find a program or resources that will help you implement diet and PA changes. Most community centers or county clinics offer such programs. Good luck!

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Ihuoma U Eneli, MD Ihuoma U Eneli, MD
Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
Medical Director of the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition