Stroke

Treating periventricular white matter disease

01/31/2007

Question:

Following a possible TIA,I received an MRI of the brain. Results indicated "periventricular white matter disease, likely ischemic in origin." My physician prescribed Plavix along with aspirin. My dermatologist who has surgically removed several skin cancers says that I have thin blood. Should I be fearful of taking this much blood thinning medication? I am 71 years old.

Answer:

I'm sorry, but your questions should be addressed directly by your physician. It is not appropriate for me to give you such specific medical advice.

In general, we try to avoid the combination of aspirin and plavix because there is some literature that this combination does not prevent strokes any better than a single agent like Plavix alone, and the combination may lead to a higher risk of bleeding. 

I would recommend that you discuss this further with your physician, who knows all the details of your medical care.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program