Sarcoidosis

Sarcoidosis

02/19/2007

Question:

I`ve been diagnosed with sarcodosis and now im in a wheelchair. Is there a possibility that i will walk again? Have there been other cases where people have ended up in a wheelchair because of sarcodosis? I appologize for my typos im not english

Answer:

During the "acute" phase of sarcoidosis the damage to tissues, in your case the nervous system, and related symptoms of the disease may be reversible. However, the damage can become irreversible over time because the inflammation can lead to fibrosis (i.e., scar formation). Thus, it is important to determine if you have active disease.

If the disease is active you may experience improvement in your symptoms with effective treatments. Many medical centers have excellent imaging devices that can help the doctor to distinguish active disease from irreversible disease caused by fibrosis.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine