Osteoporosis

Could Abortion Cause a Lump in Uterus/Cervix Area?

02/05/2007

Question:

I had an abortion in February 2006 and had a few complications resulting from matter that was not removed during the procedure. There was a lot of bleeding during the first two weeks and a situation that resulted in a E.R. visit. The conclusion made was that another procedure would need to be done to remove the remaining matter, or I could take my chances and see if it passed on it`s own. I took the later of the two choices and have seemingly been fine for the past year. I recently contracted an STD that has gone untreated for 2 months or more and I have recently found a lump the size of a peanut m&m inside my uterus about 2.5 inches from the opening of my vagina. I am concerned that this might be tissue resulting from the abortion, or maybe the healing of a tare in my wall. Is it possible that this is just a cist? Or do I have reason for real concern?

Answer:

The lump most likely has nothing to do with the abortion.  It is difficult for me to know where exactly the lump is.  If it is on the vaginal wall or on the cervix and is not bleeding, it is most likely a cyst, but you should see your physician to be sure.  The most common lumps on the uterus are fibroids. It would be advisable for you to check with your physician about the lump as well as for treatment of the STD.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology