Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

New Dentures and Jaw Pain

02/05/2007

Question:

I am 72 years old and have had full dentures since I was age 20. Last year I had new dentures made. After several adjustments the sore spots healed and I was able to bite and chew my food with the dentures. However, after wearing the dentures for a couple of hours, I have severe jaw pain. It feels like my jaws have been in a vise or a tight clamp. My dentist tells me the dentures are not to blame and since I can eat with them, I suppose he is right. He says I have a condition called dry mouth resulting from my high blood pressure medication. A peridontist I saw recently says I don`t have dry mouth, but that the jaw has changed over the years and won`t accept the new dentures. He says implants are my only answer to relieve the jaw pain. I hope you can help me with this problem.

Answer:

I recommend an evaluation of the old and new set of dentures by a prosthodontist who can make recommendations following a thorough examination.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry