Obesity and Weight Management

Worried about my Weight

02/14/2007

Question:

I AM 5 2 AND I WAY 135 I USED TO WEIGH 128 BUT I CANT SEEM TO GET IT OFF ITS BASICALLY MY INNER THIGHS HIPS AND TUMMY I ALSO HAVE 3 CHILDREN 11,10,6 THAT MIGHT BE THE REASON

Answer:

At a height of 5 feet 2 inches and and weight of 135 you have a BMI of just under 25. BMI (Body Mass Index) is a measure that physicians and researchers use to measure degree of obesity. A BMI over 25 would put you in the overweight category. You are high normal. Three pregnancies could have spread your hips somewhat and weakened your stomach muscles so that you now feel you have a 'tummy'. Exercises that strengthen your abdominal muscles and your lower back could firm up this area, replacing the fat with muscle. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so you may find that you lose inches even if your weight doesn't change. Activities and exercises that use the upper leg muscles could firm up your inner legs and thighs, too. You'll probably never have the measurements that you had prior to having children, but the exercise would produce some slimming.

You may find that the extra physical activity may also result in a small weight loss. Keep up the exercises so that your stomach muscles stay strong and remain as muscle because muscles also burn more calories than fat. In fact, this is true everywhere in your body. So general physical activities that strengthen other muscles will also contribute to changing your total body composition to a higher lean body mass and less fat mass.

Good luck to you. 

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Sharron   Coplin, MS, RD, LD Sharron Coplin, MS, RD, LD
Former Lecturer
Food & Nutrition
College of Education and Human Ecology