Athletic Training

Nerve popping in elbow?

02/09/2007

Question:

I am 16 years old and a junior in high school and just came from an appointment with an orthopedic doctor regarding a slidding or popping in a bone in my elbow. It was only in my right, but now in both. I recently been experiencing some tingling or numbness in fingers. I am an avid tennis players, fisherman, and bow hunter and use my elbow alot. I was told by the doctor it is nerve related and want to test{EMG}. I was told my options were surgery or giving up what I love to do. Is this problem that severe for the nerve.

Answer:

I'm sorry, but your questions should be addressed directly by your physician. It is not appropriate for me to give you such specific medical advice.

In situations where nerve damage may be a possibility, it is important to work with your physician and get appropriate tests performed to assess the problem and its severity. If you are not comfortable with your physician, you are entitled to a second opinion.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Find an Orthopaedist (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Alex K Wong, MS, ATC Alex K Wong, MS, ATC
Assistant Athletic Lecturer & Trainer