Athletic Training

Nerve popping in elbow?

I am 16 years old and a junior in high school and just came from an appointment with an orthopedic doctor regarding a slidding or popping in a bone in my elbow. It was only in my right, but now in both. I recently been experiencing some tingling or numbness in fingers. I am an avid tennis players, fisherman, and bow hunter and use my elbow alot. I was told by the doctor it is nerve related and want to test{EMG}. I was told my options were surgery or giving up what I love to do. Is this problem that severe for the nerve.

I'm sorry, but your questions should be addressed directly by your physician. It is not appropriate for me to give you such specific medical advice.

In situations where nerve damage may be a possibility, it is important to work with your physician and get appropriate tests performed to assess the problem and its severity. If you are not comfortable with your physician, you are entitled to a second opinion.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Find an Orthopaedist (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Alex K Wong, MS, ATC Alex K Wong, MS, ATC
Assistant Athletic Lecturer & Trainer