Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Upper Denture Price Option

02/09/2007

Question:

I need an upper denture as implants are not possible with my case.

Most dentists are charging around $1500 for an upper; while one cosmetic dentist (who also has digital x-ray technology) in my area charges $2500 for an upper.

I`m not opposed paying more if I`m getting a better denture; however, what are the properties/differences should I be looking for in making this decision for a more expensive product? Is his digital x-ray alone worth the investment?

Answer:

To my knowledge, digital x-ray technology has no correlation to how well a set of dentures is made. Denture fees are set by the dentist; specialists expect to be reimbursed more due to their training and expertise, as well as the increased difficulty of their patients. In general, the materials from which dentures are made are all about the same price range. Some laboratory technicians, who assist the dentist in fabricating the dentures, are more skilled than others, and their fees may reflect that skill. Denture fabrication remains an art as well as a science.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry