Breast Feeding

Please help

02/14/2007

Question:

I have a 2 week old baby. I have very little breast milk. Is there any way to increase my breast milk. Is there any special diet that I can follow to increase the breast milk.

Answer:

Many new mothers worry about their milk supply.

Here are some questions to for you:

Is your baby nursing every 2-3 hours, for a total of 8-12 times in 24 hours?

Is the suck strong? Is your baby nursing for 20 to 30 minutes at a time? (frequent periods of nursing can increase the amount of milk produced)

Does the baby have 6 to 8 or more wet diapers each day?

Generally positive answers to these questions indicate that baby is getting enough milk, however for reassurance you could go for a weight check at the baby's health care providers.

Some things to check with feedings:

Is the baby positioned correctly at the breast?

Are mom and baby tummy to tummy?

Is the baby latched on correctly? Most if not all of the areola in the mouth, is her head facing the breast? Is the chin and tip of the nose touching the breast? Are the lips flanged out and relaxed?

Are the sucks deep and regular?

Is there swallowing?

Things to try:

Be sure to nurse at each breast with each feeding. If he gets sleepy at the breast, trying removing him from the breast burping him, and returning to the breast.

Make sure that the baby empties one breast, because that is where the high calorie hindmilk is.

Do NOT give the baby a pacifier or anything other than the breast. (if the baby's health care provider has you doing this, discuss gradually deceasing the amounts with them BEFORE cutting out any other feedings.)

Also make sure that you are getting some rest, lots of liquids (3 liters at least each day.)

If you are still concerned about the volume of milk you might want to consult a local lactation consultant.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing