Prostate Cancer

Elevated PSA Following Radical Prostatectomy

My PSA following Radical Prostatectomy Surgery was .1, for 3 1/2 years now it has ranged from <.1 to .3 in other words it has gone up and gone down in that range. This doesn`t fit the model of a steady rise in fact the last time it hit .3 it was <.1 for the next 8 months. Presently 3 1/2 years out it is .1. Any idea what could cause this. I saw a previous post from a man who had been .2 for 8 years and the doctor said it`s not rising quit worrying about it. My urologist monitors it every 3 months, should I be doing anything else?

It certainly sounds reasonable to continue to follow the PSA, it is possible that there is a small amount of prostate left behind which could be non-cancerous. It is reasonable to discuss with your Urologist the option of adjuvant radiation therapy or continued observation of the PSA.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology