Prostate Cancer

Are Prostate Cancer, Diabetes & Depression Related?

02/15/2007

Question:

Hey, my dad has prostate cancer and the other day he just found out that he had type 2 diabetes and he has been really down lately. Is there any reason for that?

Answer:

Sorry to hear about your dad's recent diagnosis of diabetes. What your dad may be experiencing is commonly called depression. These feelings may be related to his finding out he has diabetes as well as any lingering and/or unresolved issues from the prostate cancer.

One thing that you can try to do is get your father to talk about his feelings regarding his health status with you or others in your family. While some men are reluctant to talk to professionals (e. therapists, counselors) when issues like this arise, you might encourage your father to seek out an objective/outside person to discuss his feelings with. You might also try to locate support groups in your community for prostate cancer and/or diabetes and try to get your dad to contact them or at least for yourself, obtain information you can use to increase your knowledge and maybe use to start conversations with him.

However, a diagnosis of depression can only be given my a medical doctor. I strongly urge you to have your father speak with his personal physician regarding his feelings.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

David B Miller, PhD, MPH, MSW David B Miller, PhD, MPH, MSW
Associate Professor of Social Sciences
Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences