Breast Feeding

Breastfeeding trouble

02/20/2007

Question:

Hi i am a mom to a 2 month old i enjoy breastfeeding but have come to a point where i had to return to work. I dont have time to stop and pump during my 10 hour shift, due to my very busy day Therefore i am i terrible pain after 6 hours of not pumping. I really dont want to stop breastfeeding but i am to the point where i am frustrated because of the horrific pain and want to discontinue. Please HELP! What can i do.

Answer:

You have given your baby a wonderful start, by breastfeeding. Short of weaning your child (which I don't think you want to do) there really isn't much you can do to stop the pain of a full breast, except for emptying it. It is often difficult to work a long shift and find time to pump, but remember a few things.

1. Frequent and regular emptying of the breast is essential for continued milk production in good amounts
  2. You don't need to pump for long periods, a couple of short periods will work, and you can pump both breasts at one time, using an electric pump. (they are fairly efficient at emptying the breast)
  3. Do you take a break for coffee or lunch? If you could schedule one of these for midpoint or later in your time away from your baby, and use part of the break/lunch time to pump. This should help you with both the comfort issues and the production issue.
  4. To keep up your supply you will need to breast feed frequently and regularly when you are with your baby.
Trying to breastfeed and work can be a difficult at times, and challenging at the very least. But keep persevering and you will enjoy the many benefits you reap from the experience.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing