COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

New procedure for COPD sufferers

02/15/2007

Question:

Dr. Diaz

I`ve heard of an experimental surgical procedure that OSU is doing with COPD patients whereby either chemicals or valves are inserted into the lung(s) and significant breathing improvement is thereby made. I was under the impression this was something different than LVR surgery, because I heard this new procedure/surgery was less evasive than LVR.

Can you steer me in the right direction for some information?

Thank you

Answer:

Both of these procedures (valves and chemicals) are for patients with upper lobe predominant emphysema. Although they are less invasive than "lung volume reduction surgery," they both are being done for the same purpose which is decreasing the lung volumes in patients with hyperinflation. Patient selection criteria is about the same for all three procedures. While LVRS is an approved procedure for the selected patients, the other two are clinical trials.

The "Intra Bronchial valve" procedure (IBV) is an approach where tiny umbrella shape valves are placed in the most damaged bronchial tubes of the upper lobes. The valves are sized and placed according to the size of the airways, and will allow air and secretion to get out, but not to get in. Then when you breathe, the inspired air would get re-directed to the better working parts of your lungs for better gas exchange and oxygenation. This is a randomized clinical trial. We at OSU completed phase one of this trial and will be starting the next phase in spring.

The "Biological lung volume reduction" procedure is where a special substance is injected into the target bronchial tubes that are most damaged by emphysema. This also is a clinical trial and the desired outcome is the same as IBV, for the rest of the lungs to function more normally.

For more information about any of these procedures, please go to the COPD link and lung volume reduction surgery of this website. You may contact the OSU Pulmonary Division and ask for the program manager of the LVRS program.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine