Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Replacing A Permanent Bridge

03/07/2007

Question:

I think my tooth has gone bad under my permanently glued bridge. Upper lip is swollen and painful under nose. Bridge is 5 yrs. old. I am taking Ampicillin and it helps a little. Do you think my dentist will have to put in new bridge and is a removable one better and cheaper? thanks.

Answer:

You are currently treated with antibiotics, but the source of the problem is still the tooth. The tooth might have to be treated with a root canal or extraction. As you have experienced a fixed bridge already, probably having a removable appliance might be different for you, because as it name says, you will need to remove it on a daily basis. Another consideration about removable appliances are aesthetics. They remain in position by using metal clasps that are difficult to hide, thus being visible. One other alternative could be replacing the missing teeth on the bridge with dental implants, and leaving the teeth that hold the bridge with single crowns instead.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine